Ritter's key points:
- Know what beat(s) your reporter covers.
- Know how the reporter prefers to receive information.
- When e-mailing reporters, use a short and sweet subject line.
- Never, ever e-mail an unsolicited attachment. (This rule isn't just for reporters, think twice before e-mailing a big attachment to anyone. And remember that files size is relative to the speed of the recipient's Internet access).
- As Joan Stewart suggests, find out the best time to call each reporter and the worst time.
- If you put your news releases on the Web, make sure contact information is accurate and easy to find.